Thursday, September 9, 2010

Moments in Spanish and Beach Club!

So, I just have to share with you the source of great fun in language class for the last few days!  To give you a picture of what my classes are like, I have one hour of language/speaking and one hour of phonetics with four other students.  Then the last two hours are grammar and we join with another small group to make 10 total.  A few days ago in our phonetics class, one of the other students, a man my dad's age, wanted to tell our teacher that the homework would be a piece of cake.  Here in Costa Rica they say "cake" but pronounce it using Spanish phonetics, so it sounds like, "k-k".  Instead of saying that though, he said "ca-ca" which means poop in Spanish!!!  My teacher could NOT stop laughing!  It was pretty hilarious!

Last night we had Young Life Beach Club in this beautiful open-air covered space (kinda like a picnic area at a park) in one of the kid's housing editions.  It's high on a hill and gives a beautiful view of the city at night!  Boo, my Costa Rican co-worker, was sick and two other volunteers had conflicts, so it was just me and Jessie, my American co-worker, running club.  I was pretty worried.  We had some small numbers as well--about 15 kids.  But boy did we have fun!  The kids just jumped right in and it was awesome.  We played beach volleyball sitting down on cement trying to hit the ball over a sheet, limbo-ed till we dropped, and made sand castles out of pate (the Costa Rican equivalent of Spam).

After that, I got the chance to share with the kids a bit about me, my friends, and how Jesus wants to be our best friend.  It struck a cord with the kids who have had friends move in and out of their lives all the time.  I loved sharing with them that they have one friend who will never move away, betray them or steal their boyfriend :)  What a great night!


This is Maya with her group's beautiful sandcastle!

1 comment:

Jenna K said...

Sounds like you were able to use your "best friend" talk from here, and tailor it a bit to them! That's awesome! I like the Spam-Castle idea, we should do that at our Club! Also, I MISS YOU!